lists in Proverbs 30 | BIBLE PASSAGES of the week

Writer: Agur son of Jakeh
Version: English Standard Version (reformatted)
Drawings: Jonathan Ashurst (2006)

2 requests (verses 7-9)
"Two things I ask of you; deny them not to me before I die:
  Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
  give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me,
          lest I be full and deny you and say, 'Who is the LORD?'
          or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God."

2 leech daughters (15)
"The leech has two daughters:
Give and
Give."

4 never satisfied (15-16)
"Three things are never satisfied; four never say, 'Enough':
Sheol,
the barren womb,
the land never satisfied with water,
and the fire that never says, 'Enough.'"
Proverbs 30:18-19 Jonathan Ashurst drawing
4 wonderful (18-19)
"Three things are too wonderful for me; four I do not understand:
the way of an eagle in the sky,
the way of a serpent on a rock,
the way of a ship on the high seas,
and the way of a man with a virgin."

4 unbearable (21-23)
"Under three things the earth trembles; under four it cannot bear up:
Proverbs 30:24-28 Jonathan Ashurst drawing a slave when he becomes king,
and a fool when he is filled with food;
an unloved woman when she gets a husband,
and a maidservant when she displaces her mistress."

4 small but wise (24-28)
"Four things on earth are small, but they are exceedingly wise:
the ants are a people not strong,
  yet they provide their food in the summer;
Proverbs 30:29-31 Jonathan Ashurst drawing the rock badgers are a people not mighty,
  yet they make their homes in the cliffs;
  the locusts have no king,
  yet all of them march in rank;
the lizard you can take in your hands,
  yet it is in kings' palaces."

4 stately (29-31)
"Three things are stately in their tread; four are stately in their stride:
  the lion, which is mightiest among beasts and does not turn back before any;
the strutting rooster,
the he-goat,
and a king whose army is with him."

"The kingdom of nature is full of marvels."
Matthew Henry

Comments

  1. Love all the illustrations with the scriptures.
    maybe you should consider doing a revision of the Good News Bible - the one with stick figure illustrations all the way thru it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment