“A New Perspective” | POEM of the week

by Jonathan Ashurst

The World
The whole world is before me now, I see it shining, bright,
Glistening in fame and power, money and delight.
It promises to give me all the glories of its hoard,
If I will only bow myself before its rebel lord.

I answer, "O, Depart from me! My heart is not your throne!
I worship King Immanuel, I worship Him alone!
Your treasures are deceptive, they leave a massive hole,
For what a loss to gain the world and lose one's very soul!"

The Flesh
The Flesh has cooked a banquet, she calls me from inside:
"Come stay with me a while, you'll be well satisfied."
But the house is built of prison walls; the food's a stealthy lie:
The one who eats that poisoned fare will slowly choke and die.

She promises me samples of the sweetest food on earth.
She claims that stolen bread is sweet, and laughs at me in mirth.
But I flee her dangerous presence and run to Jesus' throne:
I've food she does not know of; man can't live on bread alone.

The Devil
The Devil tries to tell me that the Lord is not my friend,
But I know Who to trust; on my Lord I can depend.
I've seen my Father's character; for me He suffered loss:
For who could doubt His love, seeing Jesus on the cross?

The Devil keeps reminding me of all the ways I've sinned,
But at the cross, my Savior, Christ, brought all that to an end!
And now I have my own cross, and the promise of a crown,
So why should I let former disappointments bring me down?


"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace.
In the world you will have tribulation.
But take heart; I have overcome the world."
John 16:33 ESV

Comments