“The Rock That Is Higher Than I” | HYMN of the week

Words: Erastus Johnson
Music: William Gustavus Fischer

O sometimes the shadows are deep,
And rough seems the path to the goal,
And sorrows, sometimes how they sweep
Like tempests down over the soul!

O sometimes how long seems the day,
And sometimes how weary my feet;
But toiling in life's dusty way,
The Rock's blessed shadow, how sweet!

O near to the Rock let me keep,
If blessings or sorrow prevail;
Or climbing the mountain way steep,
Or walking the shadowy vale.

O then to the Rock let me fly,
To the Rock that is higher than I;
O then to the Rock let me fly
To the Rock that is higher than I!

Click here to listen or download.

Below is Ray Walker's congregational version.
I prefer to play this video on speed 1.25. You can change this under the video settings.


"From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed:
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For thou hast been a shelter for me"
Psalm 61:2-3

Comments