“Bilbo's Song” | SONG of the week

Text source: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Book II, Chapter 3
Song album: The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King - The Complete Recordings

young Bilbo Hobbit Unexpected JourneyI sit beside the fire and think
   of all that I have seen,
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
   in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
   in autumns that there were,

old Bilbo Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ringwith morning mist and silver sun

   and wind upon my hair.

I sit beside the fire and think
   of how the world will be
when winter comes without a spring
   that I shall never see.

For still there are so many things
   that I have never seen:
in every wood in every spring
   there is a different green.

I sit beside the fire and think
   of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
   that I shall never know.

But all the while I sit and think
   of times there were before,
I listen for returning feet
   and voices at the door.


"Much experience is the crown of old men"
Sirach 25:6

Comments