quotes from Pride and Prejudice | QUOTES of the week


Book: Pride and Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen (1775-1817)
Date: January 28, 1813

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

"I am sick of Mr. Bingley," cried his wife.
"I am sorry to hear that; but why did not you tell me that before? If I had known as much this morning I certainly would not have called on him. It is very unlucky; but as I have actually paid the visit, we cannot escape the acquaintance now."

Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.

A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony, in a moment.

The distance is nothing when one has a motive

"Nothing is more deceitful," said Darcy, "than the appearance of humility."

How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

"There is, I believe, in every disposition a tendency to some particular evil—a natural defect, which not even the best education can overcome."
"And your defect is to hate everybody."
"And yours," he replied with a smile, "is willfully to misunderstand them."

From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.

You shall not, for the sake of one individual, change the meaning of principle and integrity, nor endeavour to persuade yourself or me, that selfishness is prudence, and insensibility of danger security for happiness.

It is very often nothing but our own vanity that deceives us.

"I certainly have not the talent which some people possess," said Darcy, "of conversing easily with those I have never seen before. I cannot catch their tone of conversation, or appear interested in their concerns, as I often see done."
"My fingers," said Elizabeth, "do not move over this instrument in the masterly manner which I see so many women's do. They have not the same force or rapidity, and do not produce the same expression. But then I have always supposed it to be my own fault—because I will not take the trouble of practising."

Till I have your disposition, your goodness, I never can have your happiness.

For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?

Comments

  1. I love Pride and Prejudice! Great job on the post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two-hundred years later, Mr. Bennet is still hilarious

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment